Techniques: Digital Storytelling
Medill School of Journalism – Winter 2012
- TASK: Produce a multi-element timeline for posting to your WordPress site.
- VALUE: 50 points
- ASSIGNMENT: Create a piece of storytelling using three Web apps or other methods to tell a story.
- DEADLINE: Monday, Feb. 6 at noon – late assignments will lose half their points. Story pitch due by Thursday, Feb. 2 at noon via email.
- DETAILS: The final assignment will be a timeline with multiple layers, fully edited and posted to multiple platforms.
- Using tools discussed in class or others of your determining, report a story with multimedia elements compiled into a timeline.
- Use and compare at least three different methods for producing a timeline.
- Your timeline will have at least 15 points with at least 10 different types of media.
- The timelines will be posted as a page on your WordPress site and that link posted to Twitter – #dstimeline – and Tumblr.
Comparison post format
- NAME: Capzles, Vuvox, Dipity, etc.
- STRENGTHS: Xxxxxxxxxxx
- WEAKNESSES: Xxxxxxxxx
- REPEAT: Likely/Not likely to use it again
This assignment will be graded on:
- Story choice/pitch: 10 points
- Quality of editing: 10 points
- Editorial judgment/story narrative: 10 points
- Production Value: 10 points
- Use of required elements: 5 points
- Posting to CMS (WordPress), Twitter (hashtag #dstimeline) and other social media: 5 points
Number of Views:1470